Tuesday, April 22, 2008

If you were to move to India - episode 1

I am starting this series 'If you were to move to India'. In these posts I will keep on making a checklist about what I feel someone should bring or buy(mindset, belongings etc.) when they move back to India. It has been only a month and a half since we moved back so I will keep on correcting myself if my assumptions prove out to be wrong. I will also keep on adding to the list as I experience Indian life. Please post your opinions as well to make the posts interactive. Girls you got to read this series, of course it is in your favor!
If I have to summarize everything that I am going to write in this series I would say
"Bring everything you have, can have or want to have". One thing you do not want to do in India is to compromise. Yes you do not want to compromise in setting up your house or making personal choices that are in your control. Day in day out you would compromise on lot of things in your surroundings that are not in your control like pollution, civic sense of our Indian brothers and sisters, population and heat. So you so do not want to add another item to the list that you could have brought from US or bought top of the line in India.
Item No. 1 - Move back when the weather is India is better than where you are moving from. Makes a big difference in your attitude.
Item No. 2 - Remember you would definitely be a upper middle class or above in India. You need a nice accommodation(rental or your own) with a guaranteed power back up within 30 seconds of blackout. A gated community with activities for kids like play structure, gym or pool.
You want your kids and yourself to be happy from day one so the R2I blues do not set in.
Remember you are not compromising by moving to India in fact you want best of both worlds!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Priti - its wonderful to read your blog. I must appretiate your writing skills. Why don't you write a book(Memor as it is called here and is everybody's right to write one).You are giving me a walkthru of life we plan to walk someday. Thank you so much. Hoping to read many more of these.

Anupama