Sunday, March 30, 2008

Rely on Reliance

So we visited the Amb mall in Gurgaon today. I mean c'mon if you stay in Gurgaon it has to be your hobby to visit one of these glamorous malls. You can't even go a kilometer without seeing a mall. This mall is supposedly India's biggest mall(It is hard to believe but I am used to this concept in US since everything there was world's oldest, best or some sort of superlative). It has food court and fun games for kids. They are coming up with a Jungle Java kind of play structure there too. Absolutely clean restrooms is a big plus about this mall.
Anyway we need to buy some appliances and they have a Reliance Digital store in there so I guess Manna agreed to the 'Malleria'. In one sentence Reliance Digital is equal to 'ABC Warehouse' in US. They have computers to washing machines to any other appliance that needs power. They also have exercise equipments.
They have an amazing massage chair only for 1,50,000 Rs. So of course I got a nice free massage. It even massages your feet. If I ever win a lotto I am going to buy this one.
Sorry I digressed. So the prices in this store are very reasonable and you get to see all the brands under one roof and compare them side by side. Their staff is not so well trained yet so it is a hit or miss on the knowledgeable salesman. But overall good service, comparable prices, good variety and good selection.
I will keep you posted on the models of the appliances that I end up purchasing. Here is a good web site for comparing the appliances and reviews in India.
http://www.compareindia.com/

Also Reliance has other stores like
Reliance Time Out - which is equivalent of Borders bookstore in US. Nice book/music/multimedia store . They also have good children's area in there for kids to read. And most importantly a coffee shop for me. So Manna can now start counting the ridicules amount of money I would spend on gourmet coffee. This one is also there in Ambi Valley.
Reliance Trendz - An appearal store like Pantaloon. Also in Ambi Valley mall.
Reliance Fresh - fresh produce store.
Reliance Wellness - health and medical products market.
Reliance Jewelery -
Reliance Mart/ Reliance Super - Retail chain like Big bazaar in India.
Reliance Footprint - Footware store. By the way Delhites have the best taste in footware! This topic deserves a complete post later.

All you need to have in India is lots of Greens and you can have an US equivalent lifestyle!
I still get a sticker shock in India, I hope I come out of it pretty soon.

No comments: